Did you know you can decorate with antique cheese boxes?
Do you even know what a cheese box is? I hadn’t up until a few years ago when my eye was drawn to one in an antique store. There is something about them that is so raw; maybe it’s the wood or the small nails that hold it together, or maybe it’s the old logo designs on the sides. In any case, cheese boxes are full of character and add warmth to any space. Yes you can decorate with antique cheese boxes!
Cheese boxes were originally a tool used for transporting cheeses in branded boxes with lids.
They were first used in 1890 to ship cheese from Europe. These boxes were typically made of maple, ash, or hickory sides which were nailed to pine wood pieces on the top and bottom. The wood was usually printed with the name of the farm or factory and the type of cheese. The box helped protect the cheese from flipping over during transport.
You will find cheese boxes in large circular forms as well as rectangular boxes of varying sizes. Antique cheese boxes vary widely in value depending on the size, brand, factory, etc…You can find them from as low as $8.00 to upwards of $40 or more. Cheese boxes are pretty easy to find in antique stores and come in a variety of sizes, some showing more wear than others.
These antique boxes can be used in a variety of practical ways in your home.
Here are some ideas to try:
- as a box to hold essential oil bottles
- as a holder for rolled up cloth napkins in the kitchen
- to hold clothespins in the laundry room
- you can use it for height to put something on top of in a display if flipped upside down
- as a caddy to hold lotion or small bottles in the bathroom
- an organizer for essential pet items like ear wipes, nail clippers or shampoo
- a larger one could be a pretty centerpiece on a table filled with faux greenery
- as a pen holder on a desk
- they make a great entry way catchall for keys, mail, or sunglasses!
Simple and useful, cheese boxes are able to provide you with handy storage solutions!
They are also a clever way to incorporate raw wood accents into your decor. Wooden cheese boxes are minimalistic yet add a touch of interest and character.
Take some time to peruse different antique stores and find a cheese box or two that speak to you.
Let me know in the comments where you would use a cheese box!
Find more inspiration for your home.